Joint Statement by African and International Election Observation Missions to the 11th August, 2016 General Elections and Referendum in the Republic of Zambia
- We, the undersigned Heads of Election Observation Missions have collectively
deployed our members to all 10 provinces of the Republic of Zambia to observe the
11 August, 2016 General Elections and National Referendum in the Republic of
- We note that the Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) has indicated its readiness
to hold the Presidential, Parliamentary, Mayoral and Councillor Elections concurrently
with the National Referendum.
- We also take note of the concerns raised by various stakeholders, including the ECZ,
regarding the widely reported sporadic acts of inter-party violence which have
occurred in some parts of the country during this pre-election period.
- We are similarly cognisant of the assurances from the Zambia Police Service (ZPS)
to provide the necessary security for the General Elections and Referendum to
ensure that they take place in an environment which is free of intimidation and
violence. In this regard, we urge the ZPS to provide even-handed security services.
- We further, appeal to all the stakeholders to refrain from making any utterances and /
or performing acts that could trigger tensions and negatively affect the electoral
- We encourage political parties and other stakeholders to cherish and embrace
peace, tolerance and non-violence during the pre- election and post-election phases
of the electoral process, a virtue for which Zambia is known.
- We urge all citizens to turn out and perform their civic responsibility peacefully and
lawfully on the Election Day.
- We further appeal to all political actors and other stakeholders to embrace the
Zambian democratic values and practices in line with the Constitution and electoral
laws of the Republic of Zambia; and seek redress through established legal
mechanisms; and in accordance with the provisions of the revised SADC Principles
and Guidelines Governing Democratic Elections; the provisions of Article 6 (h) of the
COMESA Treaty, the COMESA Guidelines on Election Observation; the African
Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance, the UN Declaration of Principles
for International Election Observation, and other regional and international
- We also appeal to the political parties and candidates to continue to promote a
climate of peace, tolerance, and national unity throughout the electoral process, and
encourage their supporters to refrain from political violence within the framework of
the Peace Pledge and the Electoral Code of Conduct.
- We emphasise that as international election observation missions, our role is to
purposefully gather information regarding the electoral process and make informed
assessments and recommendations that could assist the country holding elections in
strengthening its democratic processes.
SADC Election Observation Mission (SEOM)
Head of Mission: His Excellency Oldemiro Baloi, Minister of Foreign Affairs and
Cooperation of the Republic of Mozambique
Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA)
Head of Mission: Ambassador Ashraf Rashed, Member of Committee of Elders from
African Union Election Observation Mission (AU EOM)
Head of Mission: His Excellency Goodluck Jonathan, Former President of the
Federal Republic of Nigeria
Commonwealth Observer Group
Head of Mission: His Excellency Jakaya Kikwete, Former President of the United
Republic of Tanzania
Electoral Institute for Sustainable Democracy in Africa (EISA)
Head of Mission: His Excellency Cassam Uteem, Former President of Republic of
Head of Mission: Her Excellency Sylvie Kinigi, Former Prime Minister of the Republic
SADC Parliamentary Forum (SADC PF)
Head of Mission: Honourable Advocate Taska R. Mbogo
European Union (EU EOM)
Head of Mission: CÃ©cile Kashetu Kyenge, Member of the European Parliament
International Conference on the Great Lakes Region (ICGLR)
Head of Mission: Senator Dr. Wilfred Gisuka Machage
Click the following link to download Joint Statement by African and International Election Observation Missions (983 downloads)