- Jan 26, 2018
- Posted by: Phillip Kambafwile
- Category: Press Releases
Lusaka, Friday, 26th January 2018: The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) signed a Grant Agreement with the European Union Delegation (EUD) worth €7.1 Million to implement one of the regional components of the Intra-ACP GCCA+ programme funded by the 11th European Development Fund. This is part of the larger Intra-ACP GCCA+ Programme worth €70 million, to be dispersed among ACP countries and regions.
This programme is a successor of Intra-ACP GCCA Programme funded with a grant of €4million from the 10th European Development Fund and was implemented from July 2010 to December 2014.
Objectives of the Programme:
In line with the overall and specific objectives of the Intra-ACP GCCA+ Programme:
• The overall objective of the proposed action is to increase the resilience of the COMESA region (and its Member States) to climate change and achieve the UN’s sustainable development goals in particular Goal 13 “Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts” in order to reduce poverty and promote sustainable development.
• The specific objective is to improve regional and national adaptation and mitigation responses to climate change challenges faced by COMESA countries at operational, institutional and financial levels.
The programme interventions will also contribute to the conservation of biodiversity by applying ecosystem-based solutions to climate change adaption and disaster risk reduction.
The regional component of the Intra-ACP GCCA+ Programme to be administered by COMESA has six result areas:
• Result 1: COMESA has dedicated operational and institutional capacity to support the needs of its Member States in relevant Intra-ACP GCCA+ priority areas, climate change negotiations and implementation of the Paris Agreement.
• Result 2: Regional and national climate change strategies and priorities that contribute to the implementation of the Paris Agreement have been strengthened and supported in their implementation.
• Result 3: The implementation of climate-smart agriculture projects including landscape- and ecosystem-based solutions is scaled up in 5 Member states.
• Result 4: Strategic dialogue between COMESA countries is strengthened, and negotiation capacity built, to share information and knowledge about climate action with the aim of promoting cooperation between COMESA countries.
• Result 5: The capacity of technical institutions, universities and regional centres that provide capacity building support and research and innovation services to undertake adaption and mitigation actions in the COMESA region and its Member States is strengthened.
• Result 6: Innovative approaches that assist COMESA countries to access and mobilise climate finance for adaption, mitigation, technology development and transfer and capacity building, from both the public and private sectors, are supported
The programme will contribute positively to the mitigation and adaptation efforts of COMESA Member States and ensure their full participation in regional and global efforts to combat climate change. Furthermore, the programme will strengthen the capacity of Member States to access climate finance for their mitigation and adaptation projects.
In implementing the programme, COMESA will work in close collaboration with its Member States, government agencies, Non-state actors, Community Based Organizations, academia and other key stakeholders.
For more information on the Intra-ACP GCCA+ Programme visit:
For more information on the ACP’s work: http://www.acp.int/
COMESA is a regional economic community established by Treaty in 1994. It brings together 19 Member States with a population of over 500 million into a cooperative framework for sustainable economic growth and prosperity through regional integration
COMESA: firstname.lastname@example.org ; email@example.com
Follow us on: