Call for Entries
The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) announces the call for entries for the 2018 COMESA Media Awards. The Award scheme is conducted every year to recognize and reward journalists who have contributed to regional integration by publishing and producing broadcast stories on the subject.
Objective of the Awards
The objective of the Awards is to promote reporting of COMESA regional integration projects hence raising public awareness, understanding and participation and ownership. Relevant topics for entry include: development projects involving more than one COMESA member State or a national project which have a regional dimension. Such projects cover trade, infrastructure (energy, transport, ICT), investments, gender etc. If an article is not about a COMESA programme, at least it should mention a similar or related COMESA programme to demonstrate that the author is aware about such COMESA programmes.
Information on COMESA can be obtained from;
In Member States, information can be obtained from Ministries that coordinate COMESA activities nationally. These are mainly ministries responsible for trade/commerce, foreign affairs and regional integration.
The awards are open for published and broadcasted works in the fields of print, radio, television, and online media. Only journalists who are COMESA nationals are eligible for the competition. The competition is open to individual journalists and not media institutions or organisations;
Submission of entries
The entries shall be works published/broadcast by a recognised media institution in any of the 21 COMESA Member States between 1st January 2018 and 31 December 2018
Entry forms are available on the COMESA website: www.comesa.int
All works entered for the competition shall be in one of the COMESA official languages, namely Arabic, English and French
Entries shall consist of the following:
- Print Journalism: Features/articles of a minimum 700 (seven hundred) and maximum 1,500 (One thousand five hundred) words published in newspapers, magazines/ journals and newsletters.
- Radio Journalism: Documentary or discussion programmes of minimum 10 (ten) minutes and maximum 20 (twenty) minutes duration;
- Television Journalism: Documentary or discussion programme of minimum 10 (ten) minutes and maximum 20 (twenty) minutes duration.
- Online/new media: Features/articles of a minimum 700 (seven hundred) and maximum 1,500 (One thousand five hundred) words published in newspapers, magazines/ journals and newsletters.
Adjudication and awards
Selection of the best works will be decided upon by an adjudication panel identified by COMESA Secretariat from Member States. The winners will get sponsorship to the COMESA Heads of State Summit, Summit, a monetary award, a trophy and a certificate.
Respects for Copyrights:
All works submitted must be original and in conformity with copyright requirements.
- Entries submitted are those published or broadcasted between 1st January 2018 and 31 December 2018
- All submissions should reach the COMESA Secretariat by 28 February 2019.
For news and updates on COMESA programmes follow us on www.comesa.int and “Like” our Facebook page.
For any clarification, please contact
Head, Corporate Communications
Ben Bella Road, P.O. Box 30051, Lusaka, Zambia
Phone: +260 211 229725/32