Auleria OlungaHead - Internal Audit Unit
areas of expertise
- Risk management
- Process re-engineering
- Financial reporting and
- Internal control enhancement
- MBA: Business Administration – ESAMI/Maastricht School of Management
- BCom – Accounting – University of Nairobi
- Certificate in Enterprise Risk Management
- Certified Public Accountant
- Certified QMS Auditor
membership to professional bodies:
- Institute of Internal Auditors
- Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya.
Mrs. Auleria Olunga joined the COMESA Secretariat in 2010 as the Head- Internal Audit Unit where she has been instrumental in achieving the following:
- automation of audit processes from planning to audit follow up;
- championing of the institutionalization of risk management and
- process re-engineering.
Prior to this appointment, after her graduation from the university, Mrs. Olunga first joined the Kenya Revenue Authority as a graduate trainee and rose through the ranks to the level of Assistant Commissioner – Internal Audit.
At the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA), she got exposition and grounding in Public Financial Management as well as Internal Auditing. While serving at the Kenya Coast region at the Mombasa port, she played a key role in streamlining revenue collection in the petroleum sector at a time when the sector was hit by numerous challenges.
Back at the KRA headquarters, she was part of the ISO steering Committee that assisted the organization to prepare for ISO certification.
Mrs Olunga then joined the Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS), a parastatal charged with the management and protection of wildlife as a Senior Assistant Director. While here, Mrs Olunga headed the Internal Audit function of the organisation and was credited with reforming the Audit function to play a more strategic role. The perception of the Audit function changed from a policing role to an advisor.