Brian ChigawaDirector - Legal & Corporate Affairs
education & qualifications
- Masters Degree in Law – LLM (University of Warwick- United Kingdom)
- Bachelor of Laws – LLB(Hons) (University of Malawi -Malawi)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Legislative Drafting and Legal Aspects of International Business Transactions (University of London – United Kingdom)
- Other Universities attended: Oxford University (St. John’s College) (United Kingdom) and University of North Texas (USA)
previous work experience
- Assistant Chief State Advocate, Attorney General’s Chambers, Republic of Malawi;
- Work Placement, Mayor’s Office, City of Addison, Texas(USA)
membership to professional bodies
- Law Society of Malawi
- Member of the Rotary Club of Lusaka
Mr. Brian Chigawa is the Director of Legal & Corporate Affairs Division. He is a practising Lawyer with 25 years of experience. He has worked for the COMESA Secretariat for sixteen years as a Legal Advisor. Mr. Chigawa has extensive experience in trade, economic and investment law. Additionally, he has extensive experience in matters of peace and security having headed the COMESA Peace and Security Unit for a number of years.
His legal skills extend to negotiation skills and international relations. In addition to his role as Director for Legal and Corporate Affairs, he also heads the COMESA Programme on Free Movement of Persons.