The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) announces the call for entries for the 2019 COMESA Media Awards. The Award scheme is conducted every year to recognize and reward journalists who have contributed to regional integration by publishing and producing broadcast stories on the subject.
Objective of the Awards
The objective of the Awards is to promote reporting of COMESA regional integration projects hence raising public awareness, understanding and participation and ownership. Relevant topics for entry include: development projects involving more than one COMESA member State or a national project which have a regional dimension. Such projects cover trade, infrastructure (energy, transport, ICT), investments, gender etc. If the article/program is not about a COMESA programme, at least it should demonstrate the author/producer’s understanding of COMESA’s programmes.
Information on COMESA programmes can be obtained from;
- Website: http://www.comesa.int/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/comesa_lusaka
In Member States, information can be obtained from Ministries that coordinate COMESA activities nationally. These are mainly ministries responsible for trade/commerce, foreign affairs and regional integration.
The awards are open for published and broadcasted works in the fields of print, radio, television, and online media. Only journalists who are COMESA nationals are eligible for the competition. The competition is open to individual journalists and not media institutions or organisations;
Submission of entries
The entries shall be works published/broadcast by a recognised media institution between 1st January 2018 and 31 December 2018 in any of the 21 COMESA Member States.
Click here to submit your entry.
All works entered for the competition shall be in one of the COMESA official languages, namely English, French and Arabic.
Entries shall consist of the following:
- Print Journalism: Features/articles should consist of a minimum 700 words and maximum 1,500 words published in mainstream newspapers, magazines/ journals and newsletters.
- Radio Journalism: Documentary or discussion programmes of minimum 10 (ten) minutes and maximum 20 (twenty) minutes duration;
- Television Journalism: Documentary or discussion programme of minimum 10 (ten) minutes and maximum 20 (twenty) minutes duration.
- Online/new media: Features/articles of a minimum 700 (seven hundred) and maximum 1,500 (One thousand five hundred) words published in online newspapers, magazines/ journals and newsletters.
Adjudication and awards
Selection of the best works will be done by an adjudication panel identified by COMESA Secretariat from Member States. The winners will get sponsorship to the COMESA Heads of State Summit, a monetary award, a trophy and a certificate.
Respects for Copyrights:
All works submitted must be original and in conformity with copyright requirements.
- Entries submitted are those published or broadcasted between 1st January 2018 and 31 December 2018
- All submissions should reach the COMESA Secretariat by 31 January 2019.
For news and updates on COMESA programmes follow us on Twitter @comesa_lusaka or www.comesa.int and “Like” our Facebook page.
For any clarification, please contact
Head, Corporate Communications
Ben Bella Road, P.O. Box 30051, Lusaka, Zambia
Phone: +260 211 229725/32
Click here to submit your entry.