A career at the COMESA Secretariat means a lot of things. You will be working in a truly diverse environment, interacting with more than 250 staff members from about 21 countries. Your workplace will be Lusaka, Zambia, at the COMESA Secretariat. You will have the opportunity to work in COMESA's three official languages — English, French and Arabic — and participate in the evolution of multilateral trade. If you find this appealing, a career at COMESA could be for you!
Why work at COMESA?
- Do you believe that trade plays an essential role in supporting economic growth and development around the world?
- Do you want trade to be as inclusive as possible so that the gains from trade are better shared across the society?
- If your answer to these questions is yes, COMESA offers you the opportunity to be part of an organization that aims to ensure trade flows as freely as possible so that its benefits can be shared as widely as possible.
The COMESA Secretariat employs over 300 staff from around 21 COMESA member countries. Staff roles include legal officers, trade policy analysts and specialists, research economists and statisticians, who help to ensure that trade negotiations progress smoothly and that the rules of international trade are correctly implemented. Other roles include communication officers, translators and interpreters, professionals in finance, IT, HR, etc. who support COMESA's mission.
Compensation and benefits
COMESA's compensation policy is based on the principle of equal pay for work of equal value.
- Performance awards
- Dependency allowances
- Social security
- Additional benefits
- Leave provisions
- Benefits applicable to internationally recruited staff
- Learning & development
- Work/life balance
Contracts and grades
Current vacancies are always advertised on the COMESA website and also in Member States. You can view current vacancies and submit your details as a “personal profile”.
How to apply
Applications MUST be submitted through the Coordinating Ministries of the respective member States on the prescribed COMESA APPLICATION FORM. Applications submitted directly to the Secretariat will not be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
COMESA Secretariat maintains a variety of internship programmes for post-graduate students from COMESA member states. Internship selections are based on merit, taking account of eligibility criteria, academic qualifications and expertise.
- COMESA Internship Programme