The Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) announces the call for entries for the 2024 COMESA Media Awards. The Award scheme is conducted every year to recognize and reward journalists who have contributed to regional integration by publishing and producing broadcast stories on the subject.
Objective of the Awards
The objective of the Awards is to promote reporting of COMESA regional integration projects hence raising public awareness, understanding and participation and ownership.
The parameters for eligible entries include the following:
- Relevance: The entry should address economic developmental issues relevant to regional integration such as trade, transport, aviation, energy, transport, ICT, investments, gender, agriculture among etc.
- Regional dimension: The entry should have a regional dimension i.e. applying to or applicable to more than one regional State.
- Knowing COMESA: The entry should demonstrate awareness about COMESA regional integration programmes.
Information on COMESA programmes can be obtained from;
In Member States, information can be obtained from Ministries that coordinate COMESA activities nationally. These are mainly ministries responsible for trade/commerce, foreign affairs and/or regional integration. (https://www.comesa.int/members/)
The awards are open for published and broadcasted works in the fields of print, radio, television, and online media. Only journalists who are from COMESA Member States are eligible for the competition. The competition is open to individual journalists and not media institutions or organisations;
Submission of entries
The entries shall be works published/broadcast by a recognised media institution between 1 January 2023 and 31 December 2023 in any of the 21 COMESA Member States.
All works entered for the competition shall be in one of the COMESA official languages, namely English, French and Arabic.
Entries shall consist of the following:
- Print Journalism: Features/articles should consist of a minimum 700 words and maximum 1,500 words published in mainstream newspapers, magazines/ journals and newsletters.
- Radio Journalism: Documentary or discussion programmes of minimum 5 (five) minutes and maximum 10 (ten) minutes duration and not exceeding 15MB;
- Television Journalism: Documentary or discussion programme of minimum 5 (five) minutes and maximum 10 (ten) minutes duration and not exceeding 15MB.
- Online/new media: Features/articles of a minimum 700 (seven hundred words) and maximum 1,500 (One thousand five hundred) words published in mainstream newspapers (including online editions), magazines and reputable journals.
Adjudication and Awards
Selection of the best works will be done by an adjudication panel identified by COMESA Secretariat from Member States. .
Respects for Copyrights
All works submitted must be original and in conformity with copyright requirements.
• Entries submitted are those published or broadcasted between 1 January 2023 and 31 December 2023
• All submissions should reach the COMESA Secretariat by 31 January 2024.
An online entry form is provided on www.comesa.int
For news and updates on COMESA programmes follow us on Twitter @comesa_lusaka or www.comesa.int and “Like” our Facebook page.
For any clarification, please contact
Phone: +260 211 229725/32